Rather than unpicking and replacing a zip to fix a broken zip slider, it is much easier to take off just the slider, when your zip has all the teeth and works perfectly well but looks like this:
The first thing to do is remove the old zip slider off the jacket. You can gently widen the zip with a flat head screw driver to let it slide off the metal end, shown here, or take off the metal end itself. Be careful not to damage the teeth and keep the metal end.
Then slide the old slider off . Remove a slider of a matching zip. ( You can just cut off the ends as I did because its not longer needed) Make sure the teeth and slider are exactly the same size, and colour match or use a contrast colour that works. You don't have to worry about the length of the zip, and if you are able to buy a zip head by itself or cannabis a another item do that. Alternatively, you might have to buy a matching zip, so go for the smallest size.
Once you have your zip head, slide the zip over the end of the zip where you removed the metal end, or slightly widen the new zip slider with a flat head screw driver to get it over the metal end.
Either way, make sure to put the zip faces the right way and with the wider end of the slider to the top of the jacket. Look at another zip if you are not sure.
Once you have the zip slider on, test it a few times then you are nearly there. If you have widened the zip slider, gently return it to the original size with a pair of pliers, or use the pliers to return the metal end. Make sure that the zip can't come off that end even when the zip is just sliding on that side alone.
If the zip slides off, add another clip, use pliers to make the metal end fatter or even add stiches of a matching colour so the zip can't fall off.
If you ever have a zip slider that keeps sliding off, you can see its easy to fix.
By the way, if a zip slider won't close the teeth together you can try using pliers to close the slider gap slightly, as it might not be pressing the teeth together enough.
These are the PJ's I made for my littlest boys using " sewing for boys" pattern. I combined a printed blue flannelette with a printed black cotton because I didn't have enough of either and I wanted the boys to have matching outfits. In the end, it looks very deliberate instead of accidental!
I have to admit that when I bought this men's shirt for my 16 year old as part of a 1970's dressup, I thought the colour would be great to refashion.
Originally, I was thinking of turning into a sunny top for myself but somehow that didn't work, so instead it quickly became a shirt for my son John, who has been complaining that he can't see the design on his favourite fishing shirt, because the design is on the back!
Here's a photo of my shirt being used as a pattern. in the end I did the same thing with John's shirt as I decided it would work better. I took note of where the button's were so that I could re-use this feature.
The first step was to divide the design, from emblibrary, into 2 to match the 2 pieces of the front, so I used mbx. Then, by putting it back together in horizon link I embroidered the front one piece at a time, since it sews them as 2 separate things one after the other.
Just for fun to use the details of the original shirt, the sleeves have the button of the men's cuff and I also used the original collar and just cut it to size, covering the join. Luckily, the original shirt had a fairly narrow collar. Of course, I used the original button holes as half the advantage of refashioning is that you don't have to do all those fine details yourself, although I did have to add a button hole at the front to make it like a boys shirt.