Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Friday, 13 July 2012

patch work quilt done!

well thanks to the great missour quilt company youtube videos, the first of 2 quilts i am making for a breast cancer fundraiser is done!

Thankfully, washing the pink polar fleece in water with metholated spirits did the trick to get rid of the chemical ( formaldehyde? ) smell.

 I made a pillow case to match. Thanks to Kristen for the better quality photos!



 I added the polar fleece backing, making sure there was a bit of extra. i did a bit of stitch in the ditch to attach it, as well as some quilting designs from the 12000.
A tiny snick with the scissor was also the inspiration for some little flowers scattered to hold the fllece the to top, and off course cover the one little oops!

Here's a close up of the quilting designs with stipple to attach the two layers. i didnt go too crazy, just enough to keep the layers neat.
now onto the crazy quilt!

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

A use for an odd sock






I have been thinking of making this item for a while, since I was given a few cute odd socks in a pile of hand me downs. My three year old like dinosaurs I didn't want to throw this sock out but decided to use it for his younger brother.






So I cut it above the heel to keep the image and top rib and then cut in half to get two halves both with the dinosaur. I thought they'd be a mirror image but oh well. Then I got some scrap polar fleece to cut out sole and side. I cut the matching sock fabric between the toe and heel to use as a top band, and cut the ribbing free of the sock top so that I could make a neat seam. Here's what you end up with.








So then you attach rectangle of sock fabric to back of bottee, then picture part from original sock to new sides, then put on the sole, hand stitch the top down again loosely and there you have a recycled bottee . Here they are being modeled. I should have made the sole bigger as the model is growing too fast! They are nice and warm and don't fall off as easily as other bottees, due to the elasticity of the socks.

Sunday, 1 July 2012

crazy quilt taking shape

Here are the 9 squares for my crazy quilt, which is also being given to the breast cancer fund raiser.
You can see there is a lot of colour there, which was the plan. I used the you-tube tutorial -
missour quilt company's crazy quilt
The tutorial is really easy to follow, though I didnt have the square guide and just decided  that the squares would be 17 inche square. I made my own 5 sided shape out of a bit of paper. The good thing with this type of quilt is that it gets rid of lots of scraps, is easy and fairly quick. You need to iron as you go so that the next piece sits nicely.
I haven't decided how they will be arranged yet, but will be doing some machine embroidery on there as well. I might also add some other embellishment depending on where the mood takes me.
I'm thinking its going to be like a knee rug size.