Sunday, 19 May 2013

Saturday, 18 May 2013

refashioning boy's pants out of lady's skirt

Look here for boy's pants made out of a lady's skirt.
One more our out of the "sewing for boys" pajama pants pattern.
Even though I used the existing waist band, I added elastic to the waist, mainly because Johnny is one the skinny side, and the pattern is a loose fit.
I love the big pockets at the back !

Refashioning allows you to have lots of trendy pockets and suds with ZERO effort, as they were already on the existing garment



Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Another addition to refashion coop, look here !
I'm sure Angela, my neice, will look great in her " genie" themed dance.
I started with this old dress with the perfect see through fabric.
 
 
I removed the zip and used the top to make a top.


Then I used a PJ pants pattern to make the bottoms- with elastic in the waist as well as the ankle cuffs it will have the look. I also edged the scrap for a hair accessory!


Saturday, 4 May 2013

remodelling a few items

I started off with these boys jeans that were really cute, but the elastic was too far gone. I had tried to thread  elastic through it, but it was no good, so I decided to do a re-model.
 First, I cut of the elastic and used one blade of a scissors to cut off the loop as well.


 Then I attached a piece of ribbing as well as encasing the elastic; here we go. i nice pair of jeans for the little fellow that won't fall down !

 Another remodel was needed on the sleeves on this top. The were annoying because they were too tight on the arms. I started by by removing the cuff, to end up with this piece and sleeves that were this. Actually, I'd rather not have the three quater length, but like the fit otherwise, so

 
I attached the extra fabic to make an ruffle, and there ... a top i can wear!

Wednesday, 1 May 2013

boys pants from shirt

I started with one of dad's tshirts. You know the kind- old, out of date and a bit out of shape. This one was probably only kept for so long because we have a bit of thing for crocodiles in this house. The only article of clothing needed by the boys at the moment are some warmer PJ's.


 So this is what we ended up with. John loves them!

  In this photo he is actually standing still long enough that you can see the crocodile!
A few construction points: I used the pattern for pants out of sewing for boys. It fits on the shirt well. You can see I've dropped it a bit low, since the hem from the shirt was going to be used, I didn't need that extra fabric. I also wasn't worried about having to add the top casing separately. I started by overlocking and stitching the front and back seam. Then i folded it so the crutch seams matched, and overlocked then stitched in one go. So in three rows I've finished the main sewing. When I put them on the model, I felt that a separate waist band would be needed so they were a generous fit. I cut a 5 cm width piece out of the two sleeves, added in the the top, encasing the elastic in one step. I also used the coverstitcher to finish the waist band, as well as top stitching the elastic so
it doesn't  roll or twist.